Top Ten Reasons to Learn Sign Language:
- Sign language brings together persons living with hearing loss, and hearing people. The only connections people have with one another are through communication. Signing would be a great connection to those who are not able to speak in voice.
- You can make friends with persons living with hearing loss. People who are not able to speak in voice are able to communicate and foster healthy relationships too.
- Sign language is beautiful. Learning to speak with your hands is a beautiful way to communicate, for it reiterates the feeling of words relayed.
- You can communicate across the room without shouting. Being able to sign definitely has advantages, especially when you can talk, yell or relay a message without being heard out loud.
- Sign language is a neat way to express you. Signing shows off the ability to be animated in a beautiful way.
- You can sign underwater. Such a great way to relay an urgent message, without opening your mouth.
- Hearing people can communicate with their children who have lost their hearing. Sign language is a love language. It can be passed on to the entire family.
- You can sign with your mouth full. Talking with your mouth full of food or drink is not a good idea, so being able to talk regardless is a plus and more acceptable.
- Sign language is a 3-D language. When you speak in voice, it gives off vibration; however, sign language shows motion and facial expression.
- You can communicate through windows. Being able to speak through the art of sign language is an awesome way to communicate.
(Resource: Virginia Association for the Deaf, Inc. (2003). Words Matter – Using appropriate words and communication with meaning. Copyright 2020, p.58, Connections Access Consulting Services).